Chapters in Evolutionary Algorithms and Bio-Inspired Computing (202-1-5221)
[This is NOT a miniprojects course]
פרקים באלגוריתמים אבולוציוניים וחישוב מונחה טבע
Semester A, 2004-2005
Lecturer: Prof. Moshe Sipper
Evolving Cellz Controllers (If the link to the
Cell Developer Kit doesn't work click
- Jan Virin, Stas Bunimovich, Ohad Broide: Neuroevolution for Adaptive Teams (#1)
- Edan Lerner, Uri Kushnir, Atalya Davidovich: Discovering Complex Othello Strategies (#3)
- Yevgeny Tverdovsky, Leonid Shepetovsky, Avishay Balter: Competition, Coevolution and the Game of Tag (#4)
- Gal Bitton, Shachar Rosenberg, Yaron Finstein: Evolving Strategies in Blackjack (#5)
- Maayan Baruch, Lior Klipper, Shay Barazovsky: Evolving an Expert Checkers (#7)
- Guy Shamsian, Meir Assis, Ron Kagan: Evolving Neural Networks to Play Go (#8)
- Edo Dovrat, Geffen Shotz, Omer Hertz: Co-Evolving a Go-Playing Neural Network (#9)
- Noam Taich, Yoav Goldberg, Roy Ben-Shalom: Evolution and Coevolution of Artificial Neural Networks playing Go (#10)
- Yonatan Yatuv, Amir Levy, Zohar Tzfoni: Co-Evolution in the Successful Learning of Backgammon Strategy (#11)
- Daniel Chitlaru, Sonia Margulis, Nir Vaksman: Darwen (#12)
Project Deadline: February 18, 2005
- This course focuses on the application of evolutionary algorithms to games.
- The course will be divided into three parts:
- Introductory lectures on evolutionary algorithms.
- Selection of paper(s) by student(s) and their presentation in class.
- Project based on selected paper(s).
Final Report (please read this carefully!)
- The final report must include the following seven sections:
- A short introduction of the domain being investigated.
- A description of the problem or phenomenon studied.
- An explanation of the methods and algorithms employed.
- A description of your programmed system.
- An account of the results obtained.
- Some interesting conclusions.
- Bibliographic references.
- Language: Hebrew or English.
- Length: 10-20 pages.
- Don't include the code.
- Don't send the report by e-mail: hand in a hard copy.
(Evolving) List of Papers:
B. D. Bryant and R. Miikkulainen, Neuroevolution for Adaptive Teams, CEC03, 2003
F. Corno, E. Sanchez, G. Squillero, Exploiting Co-Evolution and a Modified Island
Model to Climb the Core War Hill, CEC03, 2003
D. E. Moriarty and R. Miikkulainen, Discovering Complex Othello Strategies
Through Evolutionary Neural Networks, Connection Science, 7(3): 195-209, 1995
C. W. Reynolds, Competition, Coevolution and the Game of Tag, ALife4, 1994
D. B. Fogel, Evolving Strategies in Blackjack, CEC04, 2004
D. B. Fogel and T. J. Hays, D. R. Johnson, A Platform for Evolving Characters
in Competitive Games, CEC04, 2004
K. Chellapilla and D. B. Fogel, Evolving an Expert Checkers Playing Program without
Using Human Expertise, IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation, 2001
N. Richards, D. Moriarty, R. Miikkulainen, Evolving Neural Networks to Play Go,
Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, 1998
A. Lubberts and R. Miikkulainen, Co-Evolving a Go-Playing Neural Network,
P. Maier, Evolution and Coevolution of Artificial Neural Networks playing Go, 2004
J. B. Pollack & A. D. Blair, Co-Evolution in the Successful Learning of
Backgammon Strategy, 1998
- P. J. Darwen,
Computationally Intensive and Noisy Tasks: Co-Evolutionary Learning and Temporal Difference Learning on Backgammon, 2000 +
Why Co-Evolution beats Temporal Difference learning at Backgammon for a linear architecture, but not a non-linear architecture, 2001
|Tuesday, Oct. 19
||Genetic Algorithms: Introduction
|Tuesday, Oct. 26
|Tuesday, Nov. 2
||Genetic Algorithms: Evolution of Fuzzy Systems
|Tuesday, Nov. 9
Coevolution of Fuzzy Systems,
Coevolving Sorting Networks
|Tuesday, Nov. 16
(also here and
|Tuesday, Nov. 23
||Genetic Programming: Examples
(Short notes on
ADFs and branch typing)
|Tuesday, Nov. 30
||Artificial Neural Networks:
Introduction + Supervised Learning -- Perceptrons
|Tuesday, Dec. 7
||Artificial Neural Networks: Supervised Learning -- Backpropagation,
Evolving Artificial Neural Networks
|Tuesday, Dec. 14
||I. Gal Bitton, Shachar Rosenberg, Yaron Finstein, II. Yonatan Yatuv, Amir Levy, Zohar Tzfoni
|Tuesday, Dec. 21
||I. Daniel Chitlaru, Sonia Margulis, Nir Vaksman, II. Yevgeny Tverdovsky, Leonid Shepetovsky, Avishay Balter
|Tuesday, Dec. 28
||I. Edan Lerner, Uri Kushnir, Atalya Davidovich, II. Noam Taich, Yoav Goldberg, Roy Ben-Shalom
|Tuesday, Jan. 4
||I. Maayan Baruch, Lior Klipper, , Shay Barazovsky II. Edo Dovrat, Geffen Shotz, Omer Hertz
|Tuesday, Jan. 11
||I. Guy Shamsian, Meir Assis, , Ron Kagan II. Jan Virin, Stas Bunimovich, Ohad Broide
Last updated: December 8, 2004