Tel-Aviv , 1989 University
was trained in Mathematics and Computer Science, and specialized in the area of
Computational Geometry. I have been working on theoretical and practical issues
of computational geometry. A favorite theoretical problem is the question of Voronoi diagrams under various settings. For a certain 3D
setting I got (with coauthors) the first sub-cubic algorithm. The practical
aspects which involved quite a bit theory were motion planning for robots and
shape matching and resemblance in computer vision. My discovery of the minimum Hausdorff-distance as a measure for robust shape matching
has been widely used. In recent years I have expanded my interests to finding
similarities for 3-dimensional structures. This involved comparing molecule
structures for conformational polymorphs, finding similar substructures for
protein structures, where my URMS method has proven highly effective. Other
topics I worked on were finding patterns in predicted RNA secondary structures,
flexible searching for RNA motifs (including some sequence conservation, and
simple pseudoknots). For protein families I am using the consensus structure to
find highly conserved segments. In computer vision I am now working on
historical document analysis and pattern matching in collaboration with Prof.
El-Sana and our three joint graduate students, and with Prof. Dinstein, and Prof. U. Ehrlich. For now we work on
documents from the the Genizah
and on Pinkassim of Jewish communities in
o Chair of the Computer Science Department, Ben-Gurion University, 2000-2002.
o Member of Natural Sciences Faculty promotions and recruiting committee, 2006-2008.
o Member of rector's promotions and recruiting committee , 2008-2012
o Program committee member of the Workshop on Algorithmic and
o Program committee member for Symp. On Computational geometry 2011.
o Member of the CS department of recruiting and promotions 2010-current
o Chair of the Computer Science Department, Ben-Gurion University, 2014-2015
o Program committee member, HIP 2015, Paris.
o On editing board of PeerJ Computer Science, 2015-current
o On editing board of Frontiers in Digital Humanities, section Cultural Heritage Digitization, 2015-current
o Program committee member of ICDAR 2017,
2. Irina Rabaev, Klara Kedem and Jihad El-Sana, Keyword retrieval using scale-space pyramid, document Analysis Systems (DAS 2016), to appear.
Scale-Space Anisotropic Smoothing for Text Line Extraction in Historical
Documents, Rafi Cohen, Itshak Dinstein,
Jihad El-Sana, and Klara Kedem, the International
Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition Recognition (
12. WebGT: An Interactive Web-based System for Historical Document Ground Truth Generation ,Ofer Biller, Abedelkadir Asi, Klara Kedem and Jihad El-Sana, Itshak Dinstein - ICDAR'2013, pp. 305-308.
13. Text Line Detection in Corrupted and Damaged Historical Manuscripts, Irina Rabaev, Ofer Biller, Jihad El-Sana, Klara Kedem, Itshak Dinstein - ICDAR'2013, pp. 812-816.
14. Evolution maps for connected componenets in text documents, Ofer Biller, Klara Kedem, Itshak Dinstein and Jihad El-Sana, ICFHR’2012, pp. 405-410.
15. Occluded character restoration using active contour with shape priors, Rafi Cohen, Klara Kedem, Itshak Dinstein and Jihad El-Sana, in ICFHR’2012, pp. 497-502.
16. Finding quasi-modules of human and viral miRNAs: a case study of human cytomegalovirus (HCMV), Isana Veksler-Lublinsky, Yonat Shemer-Avni, Eti Meiri, Zvi Bentwich, Klara Kedem, Michal Ziv-Ukelson, BMC Bioinformatics 13: 322 (2012)
17. Case Study in Hebrew Character Searching, Irina Rabaev, Ofer Biller, Jihad El-Sana, Klara Kedem and Itzhak Dinstein, International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, (ICDAR’2011 ), pp. 1080 -1084.
18. User-Assisted Alignment of Arabic Historical Manuscripts, Abed Asi, Irina Rabaev, Klara Kedem and Jihad El-Sana, International Workshop on Historical Document Imaging and Processing (HIP’2011), pp. 22 - 28.
19. A Library of Protein Surface Patches Discriminates between Native Structures and Decoys Generated by Structure Prediction Servers,
Roi Gamliel, Klara
20. Gene bi-targeting by viral and human miRNAs, Isana Veksler-Lublinsky, Yonat Shemer-Avni, Klara kedem, Michal Ziv-Ukelson, BMC Bioinformatics, 11:249 (2010)
21. Approximate input sensitive algorithms for point pattern matching, Dror Aiger, Klara Kedem, Pattern Recognition: 43(1): 153-159 (2010).
22. Adaptive shape prior for recognition and variational segmentation of degraded historical characters. Itay Bar Yosef, Alik Mokeichev, Klara Kedem, Itshak Dinstein. Pattern Recognition, Vol 42, pp. 3348-3354, 2009.
23. Text line segmentation for degraded handwritten historical documents. Itay Bar Yosef, Nate hagbi, Klara Kedem, Itshak Dinstein. The 10th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR) 2009, pp. 1161-1165.
24. A new library of surface patches - design and applications. Roi Gamliel, Klara Kedem, Rachel Kolodny & Chen Keasar. Technical Report 09-10, Computer Science Department, BGU, October 2009.
25. Geometric Pattern Matching for point sets in the plane under similarity transformations, Dror Aiger, Klara Kedem, Information Processing Letters: 109(16): 935-940 (2009).
26. A GPU based algorithm for approximately finding the largest common point set in the plane under similarity transformation, Dror Aiger, Klara Kedem International Journal of Image and Graphics: 9(2) 287–298, 2009.
27. FASH : A web application for nucleotides sequence search, I. Veksler-lublinsky, D. Barash, C. Avisar, E. Troim, L.P. Chew, and K. Kedem, Source Code for Biology and Medicine 2008, 3(9).
28. Computational Identification of Three-Way Junctions in Folded RNAs: A Case Study in Arabidopsis, A. Cohen, S. Bocobza, I. Veksler, I. Gabdank, K. Kedem, M. Shapira, A. Aharoni, E. Nudler, D. Barash , In Silico Biology, 2008, 8:0010.
29. In-Place Augmented Reality, N. Hagbi, O. Bergig, J. El-Sana, K. Kedem, M. Billinghurst, 7th IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, Cambridge, UK, (2008), pp: 135-138.
30. Global and Local Shape Prior for Variational Segmentation of Degraded Historical Characters, I. Bar-Yosef, A. Mokeichev, K. Kedem, U. Ehrlich, and I. Dinstein, 11th International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition (ICFHR), Canada, (2008), pp.198-203.
31. Fast and Accurate Skew Estimation Based on Distance Transform, I. Bar-Yosef, N. Hagbi, K. Kedem, and I. Dinstein, The 8th International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems (DAS), Nara, Japan, (2008), pp. 402-407.
32. Applying graphics hardware to achieve extremely fast geometric pattern matching in two and three dimensional transformation space, D. Aiger and K. Kedem, , Information Processing Letters 105(6)(2008), pp. 224-230.
33. Exact and approximate geometric pattern
matching for point sets in the plane under similarity transformations, D. Aiger
and K. Kedem, CCCG (2007),
Structure Based Flexible Search Method for NcRNA
35. Binarization, character extraction, and writer identification of historical Hebrew calligraphy documents, I. Bar-Yosef, I. Beckman, I. Dinstein and K. Kedem, International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, 9(2007), pp. 89-99.
Integration of RNA search methods for identifying novel riboswitch patterns in eukaryotes, A.N. Cohen, K. Kedem, M. Shapira and D. Barash, Computational Systems Bioinformatics Conference, IEEE, (2005), pp. 193-194.
37. The URMS-RMS hybrid algorithm for fast and sensitive local protein structure alignment, G. Yona and K. Kedem, Journal of Computational Biology 12(2005), pp. 12-32.
38. Classification of Hebrew calligraphic handwriting styles: preliminary results, I. Bar-Yosef, K. Kedem, I. Dinstein, M. Beit-Arie and E. Angel, proc. International Workshop on Document Image Analysis for Libraries, (2004), pp. 299-305, Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), CA, USA.
39. STR2: a structure to string approach for locating G-box riboswitch shapes in pre-selected genes, O. Bergig, D. Barash, E. Nudler and K. Kedem, In Silico Biol. 4, 0049 (2004).
40. Voronoi diagrams of moving points in the plane and of lines in space: tight bounds for simple configurations, A. Weisman, L.P. Chew and K. Kedem, Information Processing Letters, 92(2004), pp. 245-251.
41. Finding the consensus shape for a protein family, L.P. Chew and K. Kedem, Algorithmica, 38(1)(2004), pp. 115-129.
42. Walking Around Fat Obstacles, L.P. Chew, H. David, M.J. Katz and K. Kedem, Information Processing Letters, 83(2002), pp. 135-140.
43. Improved algorithms for placing undesirable facilities, M.J. Katz, K. Kedem and M. Segal, Computers and Operations Research, 29(13)(2002), pp. 1859-1872.
44. Determining the Largest Common Connected Substructure In Conformational Polymorphs, A. Enosh, K. Kedem and J. Bernstein, ESA (2002), Lecture Notes on Computer Science #2461, pp. 436-448.
45. Optimal facility location under various distance functions, S. Bespametnik, K. Kedem, M. Segal and A. Tamir, International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 10(5)(2000), pp. 523-534.
46. Comparative analysis of dendritic architecture of identified neurons using the Hausdorff distance metric, A. Mizrahi, E. Ben-Ner, G.J. Glusman,M. Katz, K. Kedem and F. Libersat, Journal of Comparative Neurology, 422(3)(2000), pp. 415-428.
47. Discrete Rectilinear 2-Center Problems, M. Katz, K. Kedem and M. Segal, Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, 15(2000), pp. 203-214.
48. Fast detection of geometric substructure in proteins, L.P. Chew, K. Kedem, D.P. Huttenlocher and J. Kleinberg, Journal of Computational Biology, 6:(3-4)(1999), pp. 313-325.
49. Unit-vector RMS (URMS) as a tool to analyze molecular dynamics trajectories, K. Kedem, L.P. Chew and R. Elber, Proteins: Structure, Function and Genetics, 37(1999), pp. 554-564.
50. Computing a double-ray center for a planar point set, A. Glozman, K. Kedem and G. Shpitalnik, International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 9(2)1999, pp. 103-123.
51. Geometric Pattern Matching in d-Dimensional Space, L.P. Chew, D. Dor, A. Efrat and K. Kedem, Discrete and Computational Geometry, 21(1999), pp. 257-274.
Please see our web site Historical documents' analysis in Hebrew and Arabic in the media