Welcome to Discrete Structures and Combinatorics homepage
The Course Goal
The purpose of the course is to learn basic concepts in Discrete Math, especially in Combinatorics and Graph Theory.
The course covers fundamental topics that are widely used in theoretical and applied computer science,
for example, in data structures and algorithms design, in programming languages and in many other branches of computer science.
Many of the problems discussed in the course, appeared first as riddles. However, besides the fun in solving them,
we will present techniques for reasoning about such problems and for solving them,
which are important also beyond the scope of computer science.
Contact informationYou can find the staff's office hours and contact info here.
For any administrative issue please contact the course staff via https://cs-sr.cs.bgu.ac.il/;
Be sure to read the Announcements page regularly .
Text BooksWe will mainly use the books below, but there are plenty of good books that cover the material of the course.
- מתמטיקה בדידה, נתי ליניאל ומיכל פרנס, נ. בן-צבי מפעלי דפוס בע"מ, מהדורה שניה, 2005.
- Discrete and combinatorial mathematics: An applied introduction, Ralph P. Grimaldi, Pearson, 5th Edition, 2004.
Course RequirementsThe final grade will be based on the following:
- Homework Assignments – 10%.
There will be seven home assignments.
The grade will be based on the best 5 grades. For more information see the Assignments page.
- Midterm – 20%. Obligatory, will be held on 5/5/17.
- Final Exam – 70%. In order to pass the course, you must pass the final exam (with grade of at least 56).