A more conveniently reachable (for some) copy of some of the class slides and notes.
- Slides for week 1 lectures (architecture, SPLAB), course introduction (pdf), basic principles (pdf).
- Slides for week 2-3-4 lectures (architecture):
Introduction to computer architecture (pdf), and assembly language (example assembly code, and listing file).
Instruction formats and addressing modes (postscript, pdf).
Instruction categories (postscript, pdf).
- Slides for week 5-6, 8 lectures (architecture), misc low-level prgramming issues (postscript, pdf).
Example assembly code with macros, and resulting listing file.
- Slides for 2nd (week 7) and 3rd (week 11) talks for SP lab (Shell, Data files, linking and loading) (pdf)
- Lecture (week 8) on co-routines (threads)(pdf)
Example co-routine code main.c and co.s.
- Files used in class on position-independent code.
- Slides (chapter 2 only) from Patterson and Henessy on performance. See also Performance
- Slides for class on codes and communication, (pdf). More on Hamming codes.
- Specs for lecture on IO programming: Example spec of UART, DMA controller, Disk controller.
Warning: these slides contain some errors, that were left in delibarately, to liven things up a bit in class.